Ian and Jaxon

Ian and Jaxon

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ready or Not....Here he came!


The Happy Family (this was after I had the best shower of my life)


Ian's first bath. He didn't even cry!


He's so handsome!


We were having some good skin on skin time before I nursed. This seems to be our favorite time. He just curled up on my chest and was perfectly content staying there.


Ian Gorden Scoggins decided he didn't want to wait until the 26th to grace us with his presence. He decided he was ready on the 2nd of June. He came at 11:44pm and weighed in at 6 lbs 2 ozs and is 18 inches long.

I'm sure every pregnant woman worries about her water breaking in public. They say only 15 % of women have theirs break on their own. Most of the time the doctors do it for them when they are already in labor. Not in my case...my water broke at work right after a meeting about the end of the year. By the time I made it to the bathroom, it looked like I had peed my pants. Luckily none of my kids saw what had happened. I waddled (literally) back to my office to tell my co-workers which caused a mini-panic and I just tried to stay as calm as possible. Considering my entire lower half was soaked, I think I did pretty good. Anyways, I shut down my computer, grabbed it and my purse and headed home to get Jason. Yes, I didn't go straight to the hospital. Jason was home and I wanted to change. I wasn't having contractions yet so I figured I was doing okay. I made it home to find Jason not as calm as myself (he's ALWAYS the calm one so this was quite funny). I jumped in the shower to rinse off and then gave Jason some final requests for him to throw into the overnight bag. We left for the hospital and got about 1 mile from home when Jason realized he forgot his wallet and badge. I still wasn't in pain, so we ran back home to grab that. It was a good thing because I went in to get Ian's baby book too.

We finally made it to the hospital about 2:30pm. We pulled into the parking garage right behind my mom (the only good timing of this whole thing) and I walked into the observation part of labor delivery. The nurse had me change into a gown. The nurse asked a lot of questions and then took a Q-tip to do a litmus like test to see if what I was actually losing was my water. Sure enough that tip when touched near me turned black which was a positive test. She called my doctor and it was an easy decision to admit me. I asked her if she thought I would have the baby that night and she said "No, you'll have it the next night." Boy was she wrong. The nurse handed me a diaper to put on so I could walk to the other side which was Labor and Delivery. My mom, Jason and I arrived to Room 8 and got settled. They started an IV and gave me "Patosin" to get my contractions to start (spelling?), Penicillin (because I never had the strep B test so this was just procaution) and fluids. Leah arrived shortly after that and then Jason's mom and stepdad. That "Potosin" was amazing stuff. I went from having contractions 4-5 minutes apart to a minute apart in just about 5 hours. The label on the bag said Oxypotosin. At first glance, I thought I was getting Oxycotin. Guess not.

The pain was very manageable at first. I really wanted to work through my labor and not slow it down with an epidural. With the potosin, it was doing all the contractions so the epidural wasn't going to slow anything down except my pain, which by about 7:30pm was a 9 on a 10 scale. So I pushed the button to request my epidural. I'm a little skirmish around needles so I was nervous about the epidural, but the doctor was nice...cute too. The epidural was supposed to take less than 10 minutes from start to finish, including the prep and cleanup. I ended up having narrow bones and my bones didn't seperate like they should so they had to do the epidural twice. Then later when I was about 8 inches dialated I was having pain during my contractions so the doctor had to come back and "top me off" :)
I was dialated to a 1 when I was checked in the hospital 3pm, then a 4 around 7:15p, then by 8:30pm I was an 8. At 10:15pm, Dr. Broadsky said I was a 10, fully effaced and ready to push. It all happened very quickly. I started to push at 11p and pushed until 11:44pm. My mom, Leah and Jason were in there with me. Jason helped hold my right leg, my mom held my left leg and Leah was by my head (she hates feet so that was the best place for her). They all were very helpful and I pushed as hard as I could. I had to get oxygen between pushes to get a break.

Ian came and he was quickly checked out by a NICU team. He's considered a pre-term baby because he came at 36 weeks, 4 days (3 days shy of being full-term). He checked out fine. Jason was able to cut the umbilical cord and watch as Ian was being checked out. I watched from the other side of the room. They brought him to me and it was just he best moment in the world to have him in my arms. He's just the cutest baby in the world. Jason and I spent about an hour with him and then allowed everyone back into the room to come meet Ian. It was very important Jason and I had that bonding time with him before he was passed around family. Those first moments are precious and you can't get them back.

I was moved to the room I'm in now at about 230am. Everyone went back home and Jason and I tried to sleep a little. No such luck for me. Everytime I saw my little man I was wide awake. He spent most of the day with us in our room. We had some visitors too. Jason's friend Matt came, my brother and his family came, along with some co-workers. My mom, Leah and Jason's mom and stepdad came for round two of some Ian time.
He's supposed to have his circumcision this morning and then we'll go home this afternoon. I'll try to keep updating this as much as Ian allows me to.

No comments: