Ian and Jaxon

Ian and Jaxon

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Breastfeeding class

Last night Jason and I went to a class to learn about the basics of breastfeeding. I've heard so many horror stories about breastfeeding that its really the one thing about having a baby that truly scares me. We signed up for one at Baylor Hospital (where I'm going to deliver in June). It was nice to know where we will come when I go into labor. The class was full of first time moms and dads. The lactation specialist went over the different hold during feeding and how to properly teach the baby to latch. The nurse used a fake boob and baby. During the middle of the class, I looked over and Jason was struggling to pay attention....ATTACK OF THE ADHD MAN! He said he just can't pay attention in class (even if there were fake boobs involved). This was only a 2 hour class and he only made it about 40 minutes before looking like he was going to pass out. The 2nd part of the class involved a video that actually showed a woman breastfeeding her newborn, which I think got Jason to pay more attention. The video just went over some the myths involved with breastfeeding, which helped out a lot. I came home with lots of facts and info and some great websites to look up. I feel much better about the entire situation and am actually looking forward to the experience we're going to have as a family when Baby Boy gets here.

No comments: