The Sunday after Christmas Ian woke up with a stuffy nose. He's had one before but this one was worse. I did what any first time mom would do... I texted my mom and a few of my friends with kids. I got pretty much the same response from all of them and went to CVS for some benedryl and saline mist. Ian was not a fan of the saline mist and the big snot sucking ball. (I know there's an official word for it, but Jason and I are referring to it and the snot sucker) I was told from a mom of three that a little bit of zyrtec or benedryl also helps. Since I was overdosed on benedryl as a kid, I figured why not.
Jason and I figured since Ian was sick that he wouldn't sleep very well that night. Oh contraire...Ian slept 12 hours for us. :) The only problem was when he was awake he was fussy. You could tell from his eyes he just didn't feel well. As a mom, its the worse feeling in the world to see your baby sick and not be able to help them. Jason and I both wished we could have his cold instead of him.
(I should have never said that)...Monday morning I woke up and felt like my head had blown up. I knew exactly how Ian felt because he had given me his cold. The only thing worse than having a sick child is being sick at the same time. Luckily this fell on Jason's days off so he was in charge of taking care of us. Jason also had a great idea (he has these every once in a while) but he asked our neighbor (she's a nurse in the NICU at a hospital in Dallas) to come and check Ian out. She did a quick exam and listed to his lungs and nose and gave me a few things to be aware of as far as his breathing goes. I had already called to take him to the doctor but she was booked on Monday and off Tuesday. I went ahead and scheduled an appointment for Wednesday morning (just in case).
Ian started to feel better (I still felt like crap) on Wednesday. I thought about cancelling his appointment but decided that I would feel better if I had his doctor check him out. I'm glad I did. His lungs were clear, no fever, but his left ear was starting to become infected. I'm so glad i kept his appointment. We were able to catch an ear infection before it became bad, before it affected his sleep and before New Years. :) So Ian got his first antibiotic (the yummy pink liquid). He's taking it in this bottle 2 times a day. He still has a snotty nose, still hates the snot sucker, but he's in a much better mood and is acting like himself. He's even starting to crawl/scoot backwards. He really wants to get going. I have a feeling he's going to be mobile very, very soon.
Unfortunately, Ian and I spent most of our winter vacation sick and stuck at home, but with the cold weather here, we wouldn't have been able to get out much anyways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I can understand how you guys felt. I spent most of mine sick as well. I had ( and still have) a sinus infection. The first round of meds didn't work...the second round has made me dizzy. We'll see how tomorrow goes. The loud honking you will hear down the hall will be me blowing my nose!
YUCK!
Post a Comment